Bioneers 2022 Day 3: Stronger Together
What an incredible three days!
The speakers who presented on the final day of Bioneers 2022 poignantly reminded us that we must join forces in order to realize a better future — the struggles of our relatives are our own, and our pathways to justice intersect. As we gathered this weekend with so many Bioneers throughout the world, we couldn’t help but feel the strength of our unity.
While attendees will be able to access Bioneers 2022 recordings on-demand immediately, non-attendees can look forward to the release of conference recordings in the weeks ahead. Stay tuned. We’re humbled by your willingness to spread these important presentations throughout your communities.
Enjoy the work and words of today’s presenters below, and thank you for your support of Bioneers.
In Their Own Words
Inspiration from Bioneers 2022 Speakers
- “We don’t own anything. Nature owns. We have to start taking that word out and say what we are: stewards of the land. We’re working WITH nature instead of AGAINST nature.” -Karen Washington, Rise & Root Farm
- “In this era of growing, intensifying organized militancy, we have to understand that indigenous lifeways, protection of water, air, land, and sustenance, should also be considered a form of labor that is valued and protected.” –Nick Estes
- “There’s a very significant impact of rising C02 on crop nutrients that are extremely important for human health. The direct effect of C02 on crops we consume is likely to push 150-200 million people around the world into new risk of nutrient deficiency.” -Samuel Myers, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- “As a society, we understand the concentration of wealth and power is not good for people or the planet. The best way to build power and solidarity is to make space and amplify all of our different voices of being affected by the climate crisis. We build relationships by listening, supporting, and honoring each other, not erasing each other.” -Alexandria Villaseñor, Earth Uprising International
- “Many politicians have adopted the idea that young people are the leaders of tomorrow, but why not the leaders of today?” -Kevin J. Patel, OneUpAction International
- “The only way you’re going to take down capitalism is by taking it down. You have to boycott capitalism.” -Sikowis Nobiss, Great Plains Action Society
The power of the ideas shared at Bioneers can be even greater with your help getting the word out. Download the graphic below and share it on social media, via email … everywhere and anywhere! On social, don’t forget to include the #Bioneers2022 hashtag.
Campaigns to Support
- Hundreds of water protectors are currently facing criminal charges in Minnesota for standing in defense of the water, the climate, and the treaty rights of the Anishinaabeg people. Call on officials to drop the charges. (Mentioned by Nick Estes)
- Join the Planetary Health Alliance online community, a free and inclusive virtual coordination space where Alliance Members can connect, sustain collaborations, and share “who’s doing what, where” in planetary health around the world. (Mentioned by Samuel Myers)
- Support Rise & Root farm by buying or donating plants, donating groceries, or providing financial support. (Mentioned by Karen Washington)
- Join Earth Uprising in supporting and hastening the youth climate movement. (Mentioned by Alexandria Villaseñor)
- Check out OneUpAction’s amazing guidebooks for climate activists, which cover intersectionality, pollution reduction, and more. (Mentioned by Kevin J. Patel)
- Support gender equity and reconciliation alongside Gender Equity & Reconciliation International. (Mentioned by “Healing the Divide: from MeToo to WeTogether” panelists)
- Volunteer with Daily Acts, which connects people and builds community through education, action, and policy change that address the climate crisis to create a livable future for all. (Mentioned by Trathen Heckman)
Nina Simons at Bioneers 2022: Navigating the Nexus – Nature, Culture & the Sacred
“I invite you to join me in imagining and working toward a people’s civil resistance movement that can help to form connective tissue and some shared vision among the many siloed – yet deeply related – networks, movements and issues that we face. May enough of us bring our determined and impassioned selves into creative collaborative action, holding each other with fierce compassion in community, across divides – while turning towards each other through the bumps, triggers and ruptures we encounter.”
Read the full text of Nina Simons’ Bioneers 2022 presentation.
Thank you to our partners and in-kind sponsors Bark Media for their support of Bioneers 2022. Bark Media tells the stories that connect hearts and minds to action and purpose, helping beneficial businesses and nonprofits amplify their mission, engage their communities, and elevate the impact of their work.