Indigeneity Book Giveaway
Enter below by April 30 at midnight PT for a chance to win an incredible bundle of books!
A long, violent legacy of colonization has inflicted oppression on Indigenous communities worldwide. Today, leaders and tribes are organizing, resisting and leading local and global movements to to revitalize their cultures and institutions.
Indigenous activists, writers and culture bearers are leading efforts to preserve and further Indigenous knowledge. Broader society has much to learn from many of these sophisticated, Earth-honoring worldviews — wisdom too long ignored by modern society..
With our Indigeneity Book Giveaway, we celebrate the literary revelations of some of the world’s foremost indigenous storytellers and researchers.
One randomly selected winner will receive:
Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Kimmerer | As a botanist, Robin Wall Kimmerer has been trained to ask questions of nature with the tools of science. As a member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, she embraces the notion that plants and animals are our oldest teachers. In Braiding Sweetgrass, Kimmerer brings these two lenses of knowledge together to take us on “a journey that is every bit as mythic as it is scientific, as sacred as it is historical, as clever as it is wise.”
There There by Tommy Orange | A wondrous and shattering award-winning novel that follows twelve characters from Native communities: all traveling to the Big Oakland Powwow, all connected to one another in ways they may not yet realize.
Keepunumuk: Weeâchumun’s Thanksgiving Story by Danielle Greendeer, Anthony Perry, Alexis Bunten | In this Wampanoag story told in a Native tradition, two kids from the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe learn the story of Weeâchumun (corn) and the first Thanksgiving. The Thanksgiving story that most Americans know celebrates the Pilgrims. But without members of the Wampanoag tribe who already lived on the land where the Pilgrims settled, the Pilgrims would never have made it through their first winter. And without Weeâchumun (corn), the Native people wouldn’t have helped.
The Round House by Louise Erdrich | From one of the most revered novelists of our time, an exquisitely told story of a boy on the cusp of manhood who seeks justice and understanding in the wake of a terrible crime that upends and forever transforms his family.
The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee by David Treuer | In The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee, Treuer melds history with reportage and memoir. Tracing the tribes’ distinctive cultures from first contact, he explores how the depredations of each era spawned new modes of survival. The devastating seizures of land gave rise to increasingly sophisticated legal and political maneuvering that put the lie to the myth that Indians don’t know or care about property. The forced assimilation of their children at government-run boarding schools incubated a unifying Native identity. Conscription in the US military and the pull of urban life brought Indians into the mainstream and modern times, even as it steered the emerging shape of self-rule and spawned a new generation of resistance. The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee is the essential, intimate story of a resilient people in a transformative era.
Original Instructions: Indigenous Teachings for a Sustainable Future by Melissa K. Nelson | Original Instructions evokes the rich indigenous storytelling tradition in this collection of presentations gathered from the annual Bioneers conference. It depicts how the world’s native leaders and scholars are safeguarding the original instructions, reminding us about gratitude, kinship, and a reverence for community and creation. Included are more than 20 contemporary indigenous leaders.
Click Here for the Indigeneity Book Giveaway Official Rules
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. THE SWEEPSTAKES IS SPONSORED BY BIONEERS/COLLECTIVE HERITAGE INSTITUTE, 215 LINCOLN AVE #202, SANTA FE, NM 87501.
- Entry Period: “Indigeneity Book Giveaway” (the “Sweepstakes”) commences at 12:01:01 AM (PST) on February 29, 2023, and ends at 11:59:59 PM (PST) on April 30, 2023 (the “Sweepstakes Period”).
- Eligibility: To take part in the Sweepstakes, participants must be legal residents of the United States or Canada (excluding Quebec, where the promotion is void), and at least 18 years of age at the time of entry. Employees (and their immediate families, i.e., parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents, stepparents, stepchildren and stepsiblings) of Bioneers and its giveaway affiliated partner companies, sponsors, subsidiaries, advertising agencies and third-party fulfillment agencies are not eligible to enter Sweepstakes. By participating in this Sweepstakes, entrants: (a) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by the Sponsor, and by the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final in all matters relating to the Sweepstakes; (b) to release and hold harmless the Sponsor and its respective agents, employees, officers, directors, successors and assigns, against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in this Sweepstakes and/or use or misuse or redemption of a prize (as hereinafter defined); and (c) acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules.
- To Enter: Enter required information in the Giveaway Signup form above during the eligible period. Contestants may only enter the Sweepstakes once. If multiple entries connected to a single person or email address are received, only one entry will be eligible. All entries submitted in accordance with these Official Rules shall be hereinafter referred to as “Eligible Entries.”
- Prize Winner Selection: 1 winner will be randomly selected from among all eligible entries received at the end of the stated period, or within a reasonable time thereafter. Winners will be responsible for all U.S. and State taxes and/or fees. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent of prizes permitted. Winners will be notified by email. Sponsor is not responsible for any delay or failure to receive notification for any reason, including inactive account(s), technical difficulties associated therewith, or winners’ failure to adequately monitor any email account. The winners must then respond to Sponsor within 48 hours. Should a winner fail to respond to Sponsor, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify that winner and select a new one in a second-chance random drawing.
Prize list and estimated retail value:
One paperback print copy of Braiding Sweetgrass book.
One paperback print copy of There There book.
One hardcover print copy of Keepunumuk book.
One paperback print copy of The Round House book.
One paperback print copy of The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee book.
One paperback print copy of Original Instructions.
Total value: $94.53
- General Prize Terms: The value of Prizes may be taxable to Prize Winner(s) as income. All federal, state and local taxes, and any other costs not specifically provided for in these Official Rules are solely the Winners’ responsibility. Sponsor shall have no responsibility or obligation to a Prize Winner or potential Prize Winner who is unable or unavailable to accept or utilize the Prizes as described herein. The odds of winning the Sweepstakes depend on the number of Eligible Entries received. Noncompliance with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY A PRIZE WINNER OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY A PRIZE WINNER THAT WILL BRING SUCH PRIZE WINNER OR SPONSOR INTO DISREPUTE (IN SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH PRIZE WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS A PRIZE WINNER OF THE SWEEPSTAKES AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS A PRIZE WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Sweepstakes or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Sweepstakes. The Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes. The Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Sweepstakes, or in the announcement of the Prizes and Prize Winners. If, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, the Sponsor reserves the right in their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. Should the Sweepstakes be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the Sponsor’s Web site and the Prizes may be awarded to winners to be selected from among all Eligible Entries received up until and/or after (if applicable) the time of modification, cancellation or termination or in a manner that is fair and equitable as determined by the Sponsor. All interpretations of these Official Rules and decisions by the Sponsor are final. No software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message entries are permitted and will result in disqualification of all such entries. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual they find to have tampered with the entry process or the operation of this Sweepstakes; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person or to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Sweepstakes. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor from any and all liability resulting or arising from the Sweepstakes, to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against the Sponsor.
- SPONSOR: THE SWEEPSTAKES IS SPONSORED BY BIONEERS/COLLECTIVE HERITAGE INSTITUTE, 215 LINCOLN AVE #202, SANTA FE, NM 87501.