Takeaways from Bioneers 2022 Day 1: Action Based on Love
Kicking off Bioneers 2022 felt brand new and deeply familiar at the same time. Being so close to our community at the in-person event brings a sense of closeness and healing we’ve been yearning for, while we’re blown away by the ability connect with hundreds of you from more than 26 countries on our virtual platform. This weekend brings us a wealth of love and happiness.
Speaking of love and happiness, our Day 1 speakers beautifully connected their work and all the grit it entails to that which brings them joy. They reminded us that authentic leadership comes from the heart. We’re excited to share with you some of their words and campaigns.
In Their Own Words
Inspiration from Bioneers 2022 Speakers
- “We’ve got to avoid and shift the mainstream culture’s program of suppressing emotions. I believe that hobbles our capacity to act on behalf of what we love and what we want to protect or defend.” -Nina Simons, Bioneers
- “What is fundamental is we actually have to focus on love. My belief is that only through the sustained awakening of the human heart are we going to have a future. Only love can save us.” -Jason McLennon, McLennon Design
- “We’re the heirs to something that is very special, and the work is very hard. Now we really can create a democracy that works for all. We’re going to have to create a story that captures the imagination of people all around the world.” -Angela Glover Blackwell, PolicyLink
- “We can protect the rainforest. But we can only do it if we permit and support the custodianship that Indigenous people already have over our own territories.” -Helena Gualinga, Indigenous and Youth Climate Justice Advocate
- “We face old problems with old solutions that no one got around to implementing. If young people allow the tides to turn the wrong way, we’ll leave the next generation even worse off.” -Maxx Fenning, PRISM
- “We need to preserve half of the planet in its natural state if we want nature to help us avert this global disaster.” -Enric Sala, Pristine Seas – National Geographic
- “A lot of the low-hanging fruit of climate action has happened. So we’re left with big actions that require people working together. We’re at the messy implementation phase. We need to develop some comfort with that.” -May Boeve, 350.org
The power of the ideas shared at Bioneers can be even greater with your help getting the word out. Download the graphic below and share it on social media, via email … everywhere and anywhere! On social, don’t forget to include the #Bioneers2022 hashtag.
Campaigns to Support
- The Association of Ramaytush Ohlone, on whose ancestral land Bioneers 2022 is held. (Mentioned by Gregg Castro)
- 50% of extracted Amazon crude oil was sent to California in 2020. Sign the pledge to support #EndAmazonCrude. (Mentioned by Helena & Nina Gualinga)
- Prism United, which offers programming for LGBTQ youth and the people who care for them. (Mentioned by Maxx Fenning)
- Get updates from Pristine Seas, so you can follow along with missions to explore and protect the ocean’s last wild places. (Mentioned by Enric Sala)
- Browse PolicyLink’s resources, which will assist you with advocating for public investments to create economic opportunity and healthy communities. (Mentioned by Angela Blackwell)
- Get involved with 350.org by staying in the loop and meeting like-minded activists to tackle climate-related issues. (Mentioned by May Boeve)
- Explore tools from Designing Justice + Designing Spaces to help lead toward a restorative justice future. (Mentioned by Deanna Van Buren)