Bioneers at the Global Climate Action Summit
The Global Climate Action Summit is descending on the Bay Area during the middle of September. Conceived of and hosted by California Governor Jerry Brown, the official event is designed to be a momentum builder towards 2020, a major milestone for the Paris Climate Commitment. Of course, since Paris in 2015 much has changed. The election of Trump and the subsequent withdrawal of the US from the Paris agreement has made other entities all the more important in the quest to take immediate action on climate. Subnational action on climate change by states, cities, regions and businesses is more essential than ever — and citizen mobilization at all scales continues to be among the most important drivers of action. Without being held to account, the most ambitious of intentions are at risk of remaining just that: ambitious intentions. We are all needed. The world is full of ambiguity but one thing that we can be absolutely certain of is that there is no place for unrealized ambition when it comes to climate change.
The week of events in the Bay Area will be an important opportunity to push for effective and immediate action. While the “Official Summit” is a credentialed event taking place Sept 12-14, the entire region and calendar will literally be bursting at the seams with vibrant and important actions, events and conversations. We’ve highlighted a number of key events and resources below. If you’re in the area, come out, show up and make a difference. And then join us at the Bioneers Conference in October to continue the conversation.
September 8: Global Day of Action & Climate March: RISE FOR CLIMATE
If you do one thing this week, hit the streets with thousands and thousands more to demand action on climate change. The climate movement would not be where it is today without citizen action and, for better or worse, it’s needed now more than ever.
Comprehensive Event Listings:
- 350 Bay Area has their own calendar of events, The People’s Climate Calendar.
- It Takes Roots, Solidarity to Solutions is a week of events and actions organized by a coalition of incredible organizations and movements including: Climate Justice Alliance , Grassroots Global Justice Alliance, Indigenous Environmental Network and Right to the City Alliance alongside Center for Story-based Strategy and The Ruckus Society.
- And here’s a complete list of “official” Affiliate Events
Bioneers Sponsored/Partnered Events:
- Sept 12 & 14: Invoking the Pause and The Climate Solutions Group: Climate Action Summit Speaker Series. A two-day event featuring many Bioneers speakers including Joshua Fouts, Brock Dolman, Erin Axelrod, Calla Rose Ostrander, Dr.Jeff Creque, Frijtof Capra, Janaki Jagannath and more.
- Sept 12: Ten Strands: Education: Key to Long-Term Climate Action Success
A full day event focusing on the vital but frequently overlooked role of education in successful climate action featuring a number of Bioneers allies and coordinated by Ten Strands along with a number of key partners.
- Sept 13: USF: Climate Change, Extractive Industries, and Indigenous Land Rights: An Emerging Discussion
An evening event co-sponsored by Bioneers featuring Corinna Gould, Valentin Lopez and others in an essential conversation about Indigenous Land Rights.
- Sept 14: Pathway to Paris Concert
Bioneers is thrilled to partner with Patti Smith, Bob Weir, Flea and many other artists for a Climate Action celebration and benefit concert for 350.org and UNDP.
Events Featuring Bioneers Allies and Speakers:
Forgive us (and let us know!) if we’ve missed some.
- Sept 10: DivestInvest: How the Moral Call to Divest Became a Matter of Fiduciary Duty: Featuring Jeremy Grantham, Bill McKibben, DJ Spooky & Other Special Guests
- Sept 10-14: Resilient By Design: Adaptation by Design Exhibition at the Resilient Storefront
- Sept 11: Women’s Assembly for Climate Justice: Women Leading Solutions on the Frontlines of Climate Change (This is an extraordinary collection of women leaders including numerous Bioneers speakers.)
- Sept 11-12: Danny Kennedy & David Hochschild: Spotlight on Climate Solution at COAL + ICE
- Sept 11: Latino Community Foundation / Voces Verdes: Spotlighting Latino Leadership on Climate Change in California and Beyond
- Sept 11: Union of Concerned Scientists & 350.org: Climate Damages & Deception: Taking Big Oil to Court to Pay Their Fair Share
- Sept 12: Healthcare without Harm: Global Climate and Health Forum
- Sept 12: The Nature Conservancy: Forest, Food & Land Day: Meeting the 30×30 Challenge
- Sept 12: New Resource Bank/Amalgamated Bank: Behind the Curtain on Banks & Climate Change
- Sept 13: As You Sow: Oil & Autos: Planning for a Low Carbon Future
Our weekly newsletter provides insights into the people, projects, and organizations creating lasting change in the world.
Join us, hear from those who are uncovering Pathways Forward, and be inspired.